3.9 Close Viewing - For Mature Audiences Only
Flip through this resource here.
This resource guides students through the Level 3 Achievement Standard 3.9 (AS91480) Respond critically to significant aspects of visual and/or oral text(s) through close reading, supported by evidence.
This task is designed to be used for the close viewing of a documentary. Students are encouraged to select a documentary other than the one they may have already studied in class but that could be complementary to it. They choose 2-4 aspects, the gather evidence to discuss how those aspects are developed. Students are scaffolded through interpreting and making judgements about what they find.
Note well: Students are provided with a link to a preformatted Google Sheet to help them plan and structure their final product.
This product includes:
- The student information/work booklet.
- A PDF with a link on it to take you to the Google Sheet for planning and structuring students’ work. (This link is provided for students within their workbook also.)
- A supplementary information booklet about Unpacking the Documentary - also sold separately here.
This resource comes in Microsoft PowerPoint (resized as A4 pages). This means you can:
- Edit / Tweak it to suit your / your students' needs.
- Upload to Google if you prefer ‘Slides’ over PowerPoint.
- Share with students digitally so that they can work on them online. (Note that for EL standards, students must work in hard copy because, other than dictionaries, they must not use any digital devices.)
- Print as hard copy work booklets.