US26624 Reading - News Article - Blues and Browns (Word & G.Doc)
This task helps students achieve NZQA’s Unit Standard 26624 Read texts with understanding - version 5. For this standard students are required to read THREE different text types. This resource covers ONE of those – reading a lead newspaper article.
Students watch a short documentary about Jane Elliott’s classroom experiment on racism (dividing her class according to their eye colour). They then read a newspaper article about a New Zealand school who tried to do the same thing – also to try to teach their students how horrible racism is – but this time with mixed results. Students answer questions about the article to show their understanding.
As with all our task booklets, this resource:
- Comes with a clear and user-friendly coversheet.
- Is available in Microsoft Word and Google Doc formats - use it as is or edit it to suit your/your students' needs.
- Is available in a type-on PDF format. No editing, but nor do you have to worry about format.
- Is primarily designed to be shared with students digitally but can also be printed.
- Is designed to ensure students SUCCEED.
- Includes tables and templates, providing a structured and scaffolded approach.
- Contains hyperlinks (where necessary) for easy referral to parts within the document and also to external web sources.
- Includes short breaks when students can watch YouTube clips about daring or interesting things … then it’s back into it!
Sharing/Copying this Resource
Just buy one resource, then you're welcome to share within your department and with students at your school. (I’m realistic!)
However, PLEASE, be fair and refrain from sharing with other schools or other departments.