Struggling with where to start when it comes to close reading and literacy?
This resource includes:
1. A PDF reference booklet - suitable for teachers of any subject - outlining:
- 6 steps you can take before students read the text, and
- 14 steps you can work through after students read the text.
2. An editable planning template. (Refer to the reference booklet for possible methods and strategies as you plan.) This is in Microsoft Word, but you can upload it to Google if you prefer.
2. Editable templates for students to use. These are also in Microsoft and can be uploaded Google if you prefer. These include:
- A KWL chart, and
- An anticipatory reading chart.
There are references to pages from the Literacy Strategies book for Years 9-13. I strongly recommend you down load it - regardless of whether or not you purchase my resource. It's available here: Literacy Strategies Book for Years 9-13 to go with this resource.
How do you use this resource?
- Choose your text, then work through which steps and which strategies within those steps you'd like students to go through BEFORE they read. Write down what you plan in the empty template (provided in this resource).
- Next, plan which steps you'd like to go through DURING and/or AFTER reading. From the guide, choose which strategies within each step you'd like to use. Fill these in in the empty planning template provided.
This was truly a lifesaver for me. In fact, so much so that I printed and laminated the reference pages and always had them floating around my desk!
Sharing/Copying this Resource
A lot of work went into this. I’d prefer you kept this resource to yourself. I’m happy for you to share larger products (like the Achievement Standard and Unit Standard tasks) with others in your department, but this is just a wee price. Buy your own, and let others buy theirs. Cheers! 😊