LETS make literary judgements
This is a single page matrix that concentrates on four aspects to consider when evaluating texts, also referred to as making literary judgements or applying literary criticism.
The four aspects are arranged in a matrix that looks at criticism through two view points. These are:
- personal and subjective, and
- technical and objective
Within this matrix lie four aspects to consider. These create an acronym (LETS or LEST) which covers:
- Lens - looking through your own lens and the lenses of others.
- Expectations - what expectations are we going into the reading with?
- Techniques - what techniques has the creator used and what are the effects of those?
- So what?! - So, what is the creator showing us about our world and human nature?
If you're a bit stressed about how to give your senior students an overview as to how to tackle literary criticism, then this is your go-to!
This resource is in a PDF format. The one-pager comes in four different designs to suit your/your students' tastes.
Sharing/Copying this Resource
Share with your students, not your colleagues. Yes, you CAN be a little bit selfish today. ;) Thank you.