US27996 Write simple texts on an everyday topic
This task helps students achieve one of the NZCEL Unit Standards, US27996 Write Simple Texts on an Everyday topic by guiding them through ONE of TWO pieces of writing required for this standard. It includes a clearly written coversheet to grade against US27996 (Level 1, version 3). Similarly, if you’ve suddenly found yourself with a new immigrant or fee-paying student in your class, and you need help to cater for them, this task booklet can be used without the Achievement Criteria.
For an ESL student, writing about your trip to school is accessible and achievable. This resource:
- is heavily scaffolded with tables, pictures and activities to help students build confidence and ability to get to the end-point;
- allows students to use their first language, then translate to English as they build a vocabulary bank to write 75-100 words about their trip to school this morning;
- takes them through what they saw, heard and felt;
- guides them to write simple and compound sentences;
- guides them through writing a draft copy, editing, then writing a final copy.
- Provides a checklist to ensure work is to their best standard.
In this pack you will get:
- A booklet in PDF format for easy printing.
- A booklet in Microsoft Word format so that you can edit it to suit your needs OR allow students to complete the work digitally.
Want to know more about how to cater for the ESL student(s) in your class? Read my blog for lots of tips and tricks! :)
Sharing/Copying this Resource
Just buy one resource, then you're welcome to share within your department and with students at your school. (I’m realistic!)
However, PLEASE, be fair and refrain from sharing with other schools or other departments.